2016 MTV EMAS ROCK ROTTERDAM WITH A STUNNING NIGHT OF GLOBAL MUSIC
Global Icon honorees Green Day close show with powerful performance of “American Idiot” days ahead of US Election
days ahead of US Election Justin Bieber leads the night winning 3 MTV EMAs
Worlds collided in a spectacle of music and stunning visuals on the 2016 MTV EMAs
stage, featuring epic performances that took over Rotterdam and aired globally on November 6th
. Host Bebe Rexha
kicked off the global music celebration as she crashed through the ceiling to start the party, followed by superstar Bruno Mars
delivering the first big global performance of his smash single 24K Magic
, literally lighting up the stage with his dance moves. Justin Bieber
and Lady Gaga
were head to head with two wins each before the start of the red carpet, when Beliebers voted in force for Justin Bieber
to win the title of Biggest Fans
. With this nod added to his Best Song
and Best Canadian Act
wins, Justin Bieber
took home three purple EMAs. MTV turned all the 2016 awards purple as a tribute to the iconic late artist Prince.
Global phenomenon Green Day
also returned to the EMAs stage with a vengeance, honored with the night's prestigious milestone award, Global Icon
. They had an explosive onstage performance of Bang Bang,
and closed the show just days ahead of the US election with American Idiot
Additionally, MTV recognized artists from around the globe including Shawn Mendes (Canada), Zara Larsson (Sweden), Maluma (Columbia), Wizkid (Nigeria), GOT7 (Korea)
and Troye Sivan (Australia)
as the Worldwide Act
See complete list of winners and key moments below:FULL LIST OF 2016 MTV EMA WINNERSBEST SONG
Justin Bieber - Sorry BEST VIDEO
The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk - StarboyBEST FEMALE
Lady GagaBEST MALE
Twenty One Pilots BEST NEW
Zara Larsson BEST POP
Fifth Harmony BEST ROCK
Coldplay BEST ALTERNATIVE
Twenty One Pilots BEST HIP HOP
Drake BEST ELECTRONIC
Martin Garrix BEST PUSH
DNCE BIGGEST FANS
Justin Bieber BEST LOOK SPONSORED BY LISTERINE
Lady Gaga BEST WORLD STAGE
Martin Garrix - Isle of MTV, Malta (2015)GLOBAL ICON AWARD
Green Day WORLDWIDE ACT:
Troye Sivan - Australia
Shawn Mendes – Canada
Maluma – Columbia
GOT7 – Korea
Wizkid - Nigeria
Zara Larsson – SwedenADDITIONAL KEY MOMENTS
- Multiplatinum R&B stunner The Weeknd made his EMA stage debut with the first global performance of his smash single Starboy. The performance began in a wildly visual, star-filled dome, which opened to reveal the singer.
- Host Bebe Rexha slayed her hosting duties while bringing the live debut of her new single I've Got U to the EMAs stage, featuring an adorable faux-fur "U" creature whose eyes followed her every movement. Earlier in the show, she teamed with friend and the world's no. 1 DJ Martin Garrix for a stirring duet of In The Name of Love with a full string orchestra. She also donned 15 outfit changes throughout the show.
- Meanwhile, Kings of Leon rocked the EMA stage, the night after entertaining hundreds of fans at Rotterdam's Old Luxor Theatre with a rare, exclusive, intimate World Stage concert
- Best Push winners DNCE brought the party by performing Cake By The Ocean and Body Moves on a floating platform over the audience, complete with crowd surfers on inflatable donuts, cakes and pizza.
- Best Male winner Shawn Mendes wowed the crowd as he emerged from a holographic pyramid, while playing piano for a moving rendition of his hit Mercy. He was also among the Worldwide Act winners.
- Best New and one of the Worldwide Act recipients, Zara Larsson, shook the arena with a fierce medley of her massive hits, Lush Life and Ain't My Fault.
- Lukas Graham commanded the stage with a passionate medley of their hits against a glittering backdrop of stars, culminating in a full-on orchestra for their smash ballad 7 Years.
- OneRepublic wowed the audience by performing their new track Let's Hurt Tonight as rain poured down from the stage, soaking the band while they serenaded fans.
- Hometown hero and EMA Music Week Ambassador Afrojack rocked the house with his smash hits Gone and Hey.
The official international sponsor of the 2016 MTV EMAs is Évos headphones.
To stay in tune with all things EMA, follow us on Instagram
and follow the social conversation using #MTVEMA.
For artwork, press assets and further information please visit press.mtvema.com
. About the 2016 MTV EMAS
The 2016 MTV EMAs
, in partnership with Évos headphones, broadcast LIVE across the globe on Sunday, 6th
November at 9:00PM CET** from the Ahoy Rotterdam, in Rotterdam, Netherlands, with support from Rotterdam Festivals, Rotterdam Partners and the city of Rotterdam. One of the biggest global music events of the year that celebrates the hottest artists from around the world, the MTV EMAs bring music fans a unique, multi-platform experience across MTV's global network of more than 60 channels and over 300 digital media properties and platforms. Follow @MTVEMA on Facebook
, and join the conversation with #MTVEMA. Fans are invited to participate in the 2016 MTV EMA campaign using MTV Bump
. Bruce Gillmer and Richard Godfrey are Executive Producers for the 2016 MTV EMAs. Debbie Phillips and Chloe Mason are Producers. For MTV EMA news, updates and press materials please visit press.mtvema.com
**Check local listings.Press Contacts